Skip to main content

Sparklers Burn Kids

Did you know sparklers are hot enough to burn glass? This holiday weekend, we want to help you avoid tears, scars and a trip to Emergency. Little kids make up more than half of all burns we see.

Hurley Trauma Prevention Nurse Nicole Matthews says parents need to talk to their kids about safety before handing them a sparkler.

For Sparklers:

  • Know that sparklers heat up to 1500 degrees! The tip of them can melt glass so imagine what can happen to a little one’s skin. Use glowsticks instead. They can be fun for kids.
  • Only light one at a time so a sober adult can supervise.
  • Keep a bucket of water close to put out used fireworks.
  • Never hold lit fireworks in your hand.

Repetition helps. Explain the safety messages over and over to kids.

If your child does get burned:

  • Run cool (not cold) water over the burn.
  • Don’t put butter on it as you may have heard growing up.
  • Use non adhering dressing, dry bandage or a sheet. Choose material that won’t stick to the burn.
  • Use antibacterial ointment.
  • Seek a doctor if the burn is large, on hands or feet or on a bendy part of the body.

Explaining safety rules doesn’t ruin a good time, getting hurt does. Watch this 45 second video before handing your child a sparkler or fireworks this weekend. Having a fun time includes have a safe time.